Monday, March 15, 2010

GOING BIG: Boost SurfSho at Bondi


I just watched the best surfing I will ever see in person. I talked to Kelly Slater (9-time world champion). I surfed with Jordy Smith (current World No. 2). I live in Australia. I'm addicted to surfing.

What a weekend it was indeed. Friday saw the start of the 2010 Boost SurfSho at Bondi Beach, the first competition hosted here since '88. Conditions were nearly ideal for an aerial competition, with slight onshore winds and shoulder to head high surf all weekend. Sunday's final heat was spectacular to say the least, with nearly 40,000 people in attendance. In the end it was 20 year-old Australian prodigy and WCT (World Championship Tour) rookie Owen Wright, who landed a Frontside Air-Reverse (that's a 360 grab) in the final to take home the victory. Here's a picture of him in mid-flight that I was able to take from the beach (click on it to view the enlarged version). I could hardly contain myself when he stood tall after nailing the highest scoring air of the day for a 9.8 out of a possible 10. Talk about elevation.


Watching world class surfing live from the beach is a unique and breathtaking experience for anyone, regardless of your level of interest in the sport. The speed, power, athleticism, and skill that these guys perform with during sessions gets magnified tenfold. Surf films don't even come close to doing their ability justice.

I can't think of a sport that's more interactive and intimate for the spectators. The surfers walk directly through the crowd while getting in and out of the water, often giving high-fives and responding to encouragement with recognition and gratitude. After surfers exit the water, its not uncommon for them to get mobbed by spectators and cameras. They often sign autographs, pose for photos, and share a few words. I managed to get autographs from Mick Fanning (2-time world champion), Taj Burrow (current World No. 1), Jordy Smith (current world No. 2), and Owen Wright (the event winner). Kelly Slater didn't sign any autographs, which was unfortunate, but understandable at the same time. Here are a couple more photos from the weekend, as well as a highlight video:

(Gold Coast wild card and finalist Chippa Wilson launching a proper air)

(the man, the myth, the legend: Kelly Slater, heading out for an early morning heat)

video highlights:


Sorry for the lack of updates. My next post should be up in a couple days. Take care until then. I'm gonna hit the ocean. It looks fun out there today.

No comments:

Post a Comment